Wednesday 1 September 2021

Novation Zero SL MKii


"Novation Zero SL MKii"

I'll be the first to admit that I am a totally ignorant idiot when it comes to me wanting something and putting in the bare minimum to see if it already exists in some capacity, but in my defense when you type in "MIDI controller for hardware devices" usually you just get basic software MIDI controllers pushed into your face from AKAI and Alesis. Some of these MIDI controllers do come with 5 pin din or those little Jack to MIDI converters but they usually limit dials and faders for pads and keys.

I wanted a MIDI controller that would let me control aspects of my Digitakt and Octatrack MKii, basically allowing me to mix the audio down on the devices without menu diving or jumping between tracks individually. I also wanted to be able to control effects mixing, again without having to select the track and tweak an individual sound. I found out about the Faderfox but right now that's out of my budget (unless they appear on Sweetwater then they got a customer) which mixer style MIDI controllers are exactly what I wanted. I got pushed onto the Novation Zero by a friend who had the keyboard variant and told me to get one cheap and give it a whirl.

And yeah, I absolutely adore it. I won't lie though programming is a total bitch.

Elektron, please release some Octatrack MKii size peripheral that allows this kind of midi control, 8 sliders, multitude of buttons and dials, let us use those nice menus for changing MIDI and CC values and such. Hell make it Overbridge in a box, USB connectivity and let it expand on the Digitakt and Digitone (individual outs, channel mixing, on board effects)